It’s a drink.
Yet, it’s so much more than that.
It’s an experience. It’s a photo. It’s a good talk. It’s a literal pick-me-up.
Most people find themselves at a coffee shop once, twice, or multiple times a week (or a day let’s be honest).
But do you ever stop and think about what you might actually be consuming?
I thought I would share my personal list of guidelines when ordering a drink at a coffee shop.
** These are just my opinions. Remember that balance is also important.**
These might be heart breakers, but here it goes:
- Don’t add flavoring. Example: vanilla, hazelnut, caramel, etc. (I know that hurts, but TRUST ME your body will thank you in the long run. Simplicity is key – lattes, Café au laits, Americano’s, espresso or just brewed coffee are some of the better options )
- Avoid sugar free anything at ALL COSTS. (Yes, that goes for Splenda too. Do yourself a favor and check this out)
- Bring a spoonful of coconut oil to add to your drink. You can scoop about a tablespoon onto a plastic spoon and place it in a little baggy. Stuff it into your purse then whip it out and stir into your coffee on the go. It makes your coffee creamier, gives you an extra boost (great for a preworkout), improves your metabolism, and helps your immune system. Read more about it here. Bonus: it is also know for naturally stabilizing your cortisol levels, which is SUPER helpful since some studies show that caffeine is known to spike it.
- Go for the nut milks. Almond is my go to in lattes or just for “creamer.” Majority of cows milk contains awful hormones and pesticides. (And NO, soy is not a nut. Avoid that too. It interferes with hormones.)
- Bring your own sweetener or opt for honey/sugar in the raw. I personally like coconut sugar, so I keep a couple packets of that in my purse. Honey and Stevia are close seconds.
- Be the diva that says no whip. Trust me, it’ll be okayyyyyy.
- Make Cinnamon your friend. And no, not the cinnamon syrup. I mean REAL cinnamon. I like adding it to my coffee or on top of lattes. It is also known for it’s high antioxidant content, anti-inflammatory properties and blood sugar balancing properties.
- Don’t give specialty drinks a second thought. (Trust me, they don’t deserve it.)
- Think before you make smoothies your second choice. Majority are just syrups that are added to ice. I would inquire about the ingredients before you order. You’re allowed to be THAT person. I am sometimes haha.
- When all else fails go for the herbal teas. Green tea, peppermint tea, and other herbal teas are always a simple and satisfying choice. Just make it count by not polluting it with artificial sweeteners 🙂
I think that’s all I got for yaaaaaaa (for now).
If there’s one thing I want you to remember, it’s this: Simplicity is key.
Now go enjoy an almond milk latte and read a book.
“Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers.” 3 John 1:2 (NASB)