Happy Tuesday everyone!
I know it can be one of the longest days of the week, but have no fear a muffin recipe is here! It is the ultimate pick me up from a non-stop, sweet-filled weekend and it provides you with tons of nutrients. What more could you want?!
I first saw this recipe here on Toneitup.com, but I am the worst at following directions. I almost always have to tweak the recipe in order to make it a little more interesting. I still followed most of the measurements, I just added or substituted some ingredients.
Let’s dive right into it!
- 3/4 cup of oats
- 3/4 cup of almond flour
- 1/2 cup of coconut flour (you may even want to add a little less of this and a little more oats/almond flour. The more coconut flour, the more crumbly it it will be)
- 8 dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/2-2/3 cup of coconut milk (any milk works- almond, cashew, etc)
- 1/4 cup of chia seeds
- 1/4 cup of hemp seeds
- 1 Tbs of ground flax seed for added health benefits (a tablespoon a day keeps the doctor away, am I right?!)
- 3 Tbs of unsweetened cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt (I used Himalayan pink salt, but sea salt will work fine)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup of blueberry coconut yogurt (I wanted to make it dairy free, however you can use Greek yogurt. I went with blueberry because the store was out of plain. It actually tasted really good in the muffins though, so I highly recommend!)
Tone It Up’s recipe is probably a lot simpler. I just had most of these ingredients in my house and and wanted to change it up a little bit 🙂
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cacao, flax, chia seeds, and hemp seeds in a large bowl, then set aside.
- Boil your 1/2 cup of water in a small pan on the stove. As you’re waiting for that to boil, put your dates into a food processor (don’t process yet!!). Once the water is boiling, pour it over your dates in the food processor and then process those dates like there’s no tomorrow. The hot water allows the dates to process easier and gets them to the right consistency. A blender will work as well. **If you don’t want to take the time to boil water, simply place dates and water in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds. Then place softened dates into food processor or blender and do your thing**
- Once dates are processed, add in your banana, eggs, maple syrup, coconut milk, and coconut oil and continue to process/blend until smooth.
- Gradually add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients (the bowl you set aside earlier) while stirring.
- Finally, add in whatever bomb yogurt you decided to go with 🙂
- Pour batter into sprayed/greased muffin tins. I used coconut oil to grease mine.
Bake for about 20 minutes. You may want to keep an eye on them if you are using something other than your standard size muffin molds. Feel free to add whatever your heart desires on top before baking (chia seeds, hemp seeds, nuts, cacao nibs, dark chocolate chips, etc!) These muffins will rise, so make sure you leave a about 1/2 an inch from the top. This batch yielded around 16 or 17 I believe. Enjoy 🙂